Back Injury Lawyer
After you get into a car accident, a back injury can lead to devastating physical and financial harm. You may have to pay for medical bills, lost wages, car repairs, and other expenses. If you are struggling to deal with a back injury, you do not have to suffer alone. A back injury lawyer can review your case and help you seek the compensation you deserve.
What Is a Back Injury?
A back injury can happen because of a variety of reasons. Whether you have suffered from a strain or an accident, you will most likely need medical care in order to recover. Your spine consists of cervical, thoracic and lumbar vertebrae. At the base of your spine, you have your sacrum and coccyx. These two sections form the base of the spine and include nine vertebrae altogether.
There are two main kinds of back injuries. Spondylolisthesis happens when the vertebra slips forward, backward, or over a bone. Cervical radiculopathy is what happens when nerve roots become damaged in the cervical area. When this happens, the individual may experience weakness or pain. They may also lose feeling in their arms, neck, or shoulders.
Spondylolisthesis may occur because of a stress fracture or trauma. Sometimes, it can happen because of a disease or infection. Cervical radiculopathy may be the result of a ruptured disc. When the disc ruptures, it can place pressure on your nerves. Sometimes, cervical radiculopathy happens because of arthritis, degenerative diseases, or similar injuries.
Back Injuries Versus Spinal Injuries
Back and spine injuries may overlap. A back injury can involve a torn disc, ligament injuries, ruptured discs, and muscle injuries. You can also experience pain from compressed nerves in your lower back.
In addition, back injuries can also include a variety of spinal injuries. If you are in an accident, you could fracture or dislocate parts of your spine. Unfortunately, a damaged spinal cord can lead to permanent paralysis. Because of this, it is important to seek medical care right away if you suspect that your spine may be injured.
Back Injury Types and Severity
By talking to a back injury attorney, you can learn about the different types of cases. Unfortunately, back injuries are one of the most frequent injury types following a car accident. While the injury may be unique, the type of damages you can get are fairly standard.
When you file a back injury lawsuit, you can seek compensation for some of the following damages.
- Medical bills: Your medical costs will generally get covered as long as the treatment is necessary for your injury.
- Loss of future jobs: Sometimes, an injury will stop you from taking advantage of future work opportunities. When this happens, you may be able to receive compensation for the loss of your career.
- Lost wages: Likewise, you may be able to get compensation for the wages you lost while you were recovering from your injury.
- Emotional distress, pain, and suffering: You can talk to your back injury lawyer about seeking damages for things like pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages: If the other person was seriously negligent, the judge might award punitive damages as well.
Your damages are also determined by the severity of your back injury. If you are paralyzed and can never work again, your medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses will be higher. For severe injuries, you may even be able to get punitive and emotional damages. The other side is unlikely to give in, so it is important to get the help of a qualified back injury attorney before you file your case.
Back Injury Causes
Back injuries can occur because of car crashes, but they can also happen because of a variety of other reasons. Some people develop back injuries because of arthritis or a degenerative disease. Likewise, sports injuries can involve the spine and back as well.
- Discs: A ruptured or bulging disc can cause a great deal of pain. Normally, these discs are supposed to cushion the vertebrae in your spine. If the soft discs rupture or push against a nerve, it can lead to back pain.
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a disease where your bones become brittle. Because the bones are porous, they may fracture easily.
- Ligaments and muscles: An awkward movement or heavy lifting can strain your ligaments and muscles. This problem becomes more likely if you are not in good shape because any ongoing strain can lead to painful muscle spasms.
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis is a medical ailment that can harm your lower back. Sometimes, it will cause spinal stenosis. This condition can cause the area around your spinal cord to become narrowed.
Car Accident Injury Types
Other than a back injury, you may also suffer from some of the following car accident injuries.
- Knee trauma.
- Herniated discs.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Broken ribs.
- Head injuries.
- Internal injuries.
- Scrapes, cuts, and broken bones.
Why You Should Hire a Back Injury Lawyer
Unless you are a legal expert, compiling a legal case can be difficult. An experienced back injury attorney can interview witnesses, find evidence and build a solid case. As the victim of a back injury, you cannot afford to risk your case’s outcome.
Through the help of a talented attorney, you can figure out the best strategy for your case. If you are looking for legal support, we can help. To get a free consultation and learn more, contact Kubota & Craig today.
Have A Case?
Describe it below to initiate a free consultation.